Thursday, March 24, 2011

Guest Recipe Blogger

It's Spring Break and I am on the road with my husband and three boys.  First stop: the brother-in-law and his family! We just had a fabulous dinner of beef tacos with "gringo" green chili and, of course, guacamole!!!  It was fabulous!!  I asked Paul if he would introduce himself and post the recipe.  He agreed! Enjoy!!  (Sorry, no photos.... we ate it all before I even thought about it!!)


Hi, my name is Paul.  I live in Colorado Springs.  I like long walks in the moonlight, collecting Beanie Babies, and extra hot fudge on my raspberry sherbet.  Obviously, the highlight of my year was my sister-in-law Laura visiting, so you are getting me at my most euphoric.  We had Mexican food tonight, with some excellent green chile.  Here is my "Gringo Green Chile" recipe.  My recommendation is to buy the green chiles pre-chopped from King Soopers or Walmart.  Also, you can double the amount of green chiles (up to 4 pounds) if you want, which doesn't affect the taste and makes more green chile to share.



1 pound cooked shredded pork (can be bought smoked and pre-shredded at Costco)

1 medium yellow onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. of chopped fresh green chiles (mild), drained of excess water 
1 lb. of chopped fresh green chiles (hot), drained of excess water
½ tsp. oregano
1 ½ tsp. garlic salt
1 can Rotel (mild or hot, depending on your taste)
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
4-6 T. flour
1 ½ T. brown sugar
2 tsp. cumin

Cook pork (if not cooked).  If cooked, mix in pan over medium heat with a little oil and the flour; stir until flour is mixed into pork (which makes the chile less soupy when finished.  Add everything into crock pot, cook on low for 6 hours. 


Hey, if Paulie can make it then surely his brother can make it!!  So maybe I'll be off the hook for dinner when we get home?


I won't count on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment